SIMCHECK DEVELOPMENT LOG
This log is intended for SIMCHECK's Tech
Support Specialists. It provides an ongoing record of SIMCHECK/SIMCHECK PLUS
firmware development. The old SIMCHECK line has been discontinued in 1996 and
replaced by our RAMCHECK and
SIMCHECK II LT units.
The log has three parts. The first lists the
firmware versions and their major features. Important production changes as
well as manual printing are partially included. The second lists the
development of the adapters and the corresponding
firmware version that provides initial support for each adapter. The third part
logs the development of the PC Communications
This document contains proprietary information
and is intended for use by SIMCHECK's Tech Support specialists only. SIMCHECK
is protected by patents, trade secrets and copyright worldwide. File Revision:
I. SIMCHECK FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT LOG
- Version 1.00 2/7/90 First version.
Hardware change: Board Modification for
- Version 1.01 3/90 Speed Override, Speed Drift,
Test Summary (Soft Error).
Hardware change: Addition of 33pF on
CAS and CAS9 lines to reduce speed drift.
- Version 1.03 4/17/90 Bugs correction.
- Version 1.10 5/03/90 Single Chip Adapter
- Version 1.11 6/11/90 Bugs correction.
- Version 1.12 7/11/90 Improved Auto Speed
Algorithm - extended to two speed tables. This is internal software correction
- not shown to user.
Hardware change: (August 22, 1990) -
Removal of ground bounce diode from line CAS9 to correct the ?...? problem with
- Version 1.13 Skipped.
- Version 1.14 9/21/90 Bugs correction.
- Version 1.15 10/08/90 5 nS estimator.
NOTE: Major 4M bug starts at version 1.16 or
1.17 (fixed Version 1.23 below)
- Version 1.16 10/11/90 Bugs correction, PS2
- Version 1.17 10/15/90 X4 DRAM development, PS2
- Version 1.18 10/24/90 PS/2, X4 software
Hardware change: Addition of tantalum
capacitor on the power supply line and a resistor on the CAS line to reduce
ground bounce there.
- Version 1.19 Skipped.
- Version 1.20 10/27/90 First PS/2 beta site,
First x4 DRAM sent to customer.
- Version 1.21 Skipped.
- Version 1.22 11/01/90 Supervisor mode
introduced. It provides more error display: Which speed table is used and what
is current error word. (Selected at Diagnostic_3_3).
- Version 1.23 11/06/90 4Meg regular modules BUG
IS CORRECTED ("No Memory"). Some PS/2 bugs corrected.
- Version 1.24 11/12/90 PS-2 bug in proper
detection of 4M modules was corrected.
- Version 1.25 11/30/90 Completion of the Test
Set-up Mode for regular modules.
----> NEW MANUAL VERSION INTRODUCTION
- Version 1.26 12/22/90 First complete PS/2
support. Test Set-up extended for PS/2. Correction of INTEL reported
- Version 1.27 12/22/90 Customization for a
- Version 1.28 1/14/91 Correction of PS/2 for
the 1M & 2M 9 X4 and the 10 X4 configuration. Also shows the configuration
after BASIC TEST.
- Version 1.29 1/18/91 First version to work
with the 16Mbyte (composite) modules made by Spectrum engineering.
- Version 1.30 2/15/91 Modular customization
have been introduced. With this technique, customization can be created in a
separate, "include" file which can be compiled with most recent
version. Two customized program were made for two German customers. This
version has no effect for regular customers as all changes are
- Version 1.31 2/28/91 Some minor modification
based on INTEL requirement has been incorporated in the PS/2 program.
MAJOR HARDWARE CHANGE: 03/01/91
REPLACEABLE SIMM SOCKETS Special sockets are now used with the SIMM ZIF socket
so that customer may change this socket without soldering/desoldering.
- Version 1.32 3/15/91 Support for a slow
PS/2-1M module was incorporated into the standard test table of the PS/2
- Version 1.34 4/17/91 Support for the PS2-8M is
now standard. Based on sample from Bill Ghai, Performance Electronics.
PACKAGING CHANGE 5/20/91 All SIMCHECKs
are now marked with a Serial Number which is attached at the rear. Serial
number starts at #10700 for domestic SIMCHECKs, and at #12360 for Export
IMPORTANT: The introduction date of this Serial
Number coincide with the fact that from this date ALL SIMCHECKs are
manufactured with user replaceable SIMM ZIF socket. That is, if a SIMCHECK has
a SERIAL NUMBER - it must be with a user replaceable SIMM ZIF SOCKET.
- Version 1.35 5/20/91 Support for the ZIP
adapter is completed.
- Version 1.36 6/10/91 Customized for MCI in
- Version 1.37 6/19/91 (Serial #10734) Intel
special HP Laser Printer memory tester. Modification for the standard test as
follows: Error address (press F2 at an error) now show absolute Hex address
instead of the previously complex two register notation. Single Bit Test is
more controllable as per section 3.6.4 of the New Manual.
- Version 1.38 7/22/91 (Serial #10776)
Preliminary support for the Bank Adapter (needs 1.41).
- Version 1.39 8/02/91 Support for the Apple
Macintosh 2Mx8 modules. This module is now tested on the SIMCHECK without any
adapter. Made originally for SQP in France.
- Version 1.40 8/07/91 Not released.
- Version 1.41 8/25/91 (Serial Dom. #010829 Exp.
#012422) Support for the BANK adapter is completed. Also PS/2 test modified for
x18 configuration customized for Intel (Set TABLE 2 and need a jumper on the
PS/2 Adapter - please contact me before offering to other customers).
MAJOR HARDWARE CHANGE: SIMCHECK
processor board replaced to Version C. The version letter is marked on the
lower right hand corner. Version C has the following changes in relation to
- Supports 64K EPROM instead of only 32K
- Supports of either a 8K RAM or 32K RAM.
Version B supports only 8K RAM. There is a jumper switch on the board for that
- Board has been partially rerouted for improved
IMPORTANT: WE ARE STILL USING ONLY 32K EPROM
AND 8K RAM FOR THE CURRENT SIMCHECK. Therefore, most users cannot tell the
difference at this time. In the future, when we will need to use the larger
EPROM and RAM, customers with version B or A will need to send the board for
factory upgrade (soldering of few wires). Customer with version C will need
only to change socketed chips. SERIAL NUMBER CUTOFF FOR Processor Board Version
C: Domestic : #010829 EXPORT: #012437
- Version 1.42 9/06/91 Customized modification
for NIBBLE MODE TEST made for SANYO ICON in Utah.
- Version 1.43 9/25/91 Customized test for the
APRICOT (UK subsidiary of Mitsubishi) 2Mx9 module. The customization includes a
special hardware adapter and EPROM. Not useful for other clients.
- Version 1.44 11/20/91 Improves test of High
Address lines A8-A10 in both PS/2 and regular modules.
- Version 1.45 12/05/91 Checks all wiring of bit
9 during basic test.
- Version 1.46 1/10/92 Add the function of short
bits to all initial tests.
Hardware Change 1-25-92 Use of SIMPAL 12
to accommodate future 64K EPROM instead of the current SIMPAL 11 which supports
the 32K EPROM.
- Version 1.47 2/02/92 New test set up for PS2
including 32, 33 bits etc.
NEW MANUAL PRINT
- Version 1.49 3/04/92 Software correction for
PS/2 adapter's jumper.
- Version 1.50 3/17/92 First AST automatic test
- Version 1.51 3/23/92 Used for Handler Support
- Version 1.52 4/14/92 Supporting new IBM 4M
PS/2 module using 9 x4 IBM chips. This module will be very popular inside IBM !
Hardware Change 5-01-92 Alternative use
of 20Mhz /2 clock in addition to continuation of the regular 30Mhz/3. This is
completely transparent to users and is dictated by commercial availability of
- Version 1.53 6/05/92 AST module test program's
write per bit adjustment to support NEC more laxed parameters. All AST users
should be upgraded to this version.
- Version 1.54 7/15/92 BETA test version of SRAM
- Version 1.55 7/25/92 Revision of all test
patterns, incorporation of Long Extensive test and Fast Page Mode.
NEW MANUAL PRINT 7/25/92 <--------------
- Version 1.56 8/13/92 SRAM TESTER program
enhancement 1 (results from beta test site 1).
- Version 1.57 8/27/92 Correcting a bug with AST
adapter and 16Mx8/9 modules.
- Version 1.58 09/29/92 40-PIN Module adapter
incorporated in the design.
- Version 1.59 10/06/92 SRAM TESTER program
enhancement 2 (results from beta test site 2 -MICRON TECHNOLOGY).
- Version 1.60 11/24/92 FIRST COPY PROTECTION -
all EPROM main messages are now encrypted so that the EPROM cannot be illegally
- Version 1.61 12/16/92 Supporting Single -CAS
adapter. Serial interface starts extensively but kept disabled until Version
2.00. Test Flow setup is initiated but kept disable until Version 1.65 (except
for the HANDLER versions).
- Version 1.62 1-11-93 Correcting a missing
display clear after Speed Override. Handler version adds a test to see if test
site is occupied when Sort signals are generated. Eliminating PRD test for 16M
- Version 1.63 1-27-93 Correcting Single -CAS
adapter to accept also 3 x3 modules with a shorted PRD (pin 24) line. Fixing a
bug in the Bank Adapter which was started by Version 1.61.
- Version 1.64 2-10-93 Fixing a bug in the PS/2
x33 table which masked -CAS. Single Bit test was redesigned for AST and PS/2
for proper incorporation with the Serial interface.
NEW MANUAL PRINT 2/25/93 <--------------
- Version 1.65 3/02/93 TEST FLOW SETUP released
as a standard version, as described in the new manual.
- Version 1.66 3/23/93 Improving FAST PAGE MODE
test portion of the Extensive Test by increasing the speed margin at the entry
of that routine. Should solve previously unexplained 'F' error problems in this
- Version 1.67 3/26/93 Customized free of charge
for Expodata Technology to allow for test continuation after error during
Supervisor Mode. Will be part of next standard version.
- Version 1.68 4/20/93 (HANDLER) Correction of
the handler double testing problem. Effective for Handler customers only.
- Version 2.00 5/06/93 First release
version to support the PC Communication Package. Correction of a bug relating
to MA10 address line on certain x9 module. Incorporates the Continue from error
feature as of Version 1.67.
- Version 2.01 5/28/93 Minor changes for the PC
- Version 2.02 6/17/93 Improved short detection
between high address lines.
- Version 2.03 7/30/93 First Beta site unit of
the 40-BIT PORT.
NEW MANUAL PRINT <--------------
- Version 2.04 9/30/93 First production version
of the 40-BIT PORT.
- Version 2.05 10/05/93 Incorporation of the 16M
SOJ and the 4M/16M TSOP adapters.
- Version 2.06 12/01/93 Correction of wrong
speed estimation on NMB brand DRAMs. Correction of a wrong -OE error on a
Micron module (this may be a unique, rare problem.
- Version 2.07 2/11/94 Change in the initial
speed estimation routine. Initial support for 40-BIT port setup mode.
Adopting a format of even version number for
the standard SIMCHECK program , odd number version for Handler support
NEW MANUAL PRINT 2-15-94 <--------------
- Version 2.08 2/14/94 Further support for the
40-BIT PORT setup mode and the corresponding change in the PC Communication
Package version 1.01.
- Version 2.09 2/15/94 Handler version for
- Version 2.10 5/04/94 Support for the Handler
HANDPAL proprietary copy protection chip. Since the change was relatively
significant, we first change the standard SIMCHECK program to verify that there
are no side effects.
- Version 2.11 5/11/94 First Handler version
with the HANDPAL proprietary copy protection chip. To use, Old handler
customers need to incorporate the proprietary chip into a socket in the Handler
- Version 2.12 5/19/94 Incorporation of support
for modules with parity-disable logic chip through the Single CAS Adapter.
Major hardware change in the Single CAS Adapter for that purpose.
- Version 2.14 6/09/94 Correction of the test of
x8 module in the modified Single CAS Adapter. Test now simply ends in an error
message since the module is not x9 with single CAS or x8 with Parity-Disable.
- Version 2.16 7/28/94 Incorporation of the
x8/x9 SOJ/ZIP Adapter (INN-8448-17). Include SET_PRD feature in the 40-BIT
- Version 2.18 8/17/94 Support of x36ECC type (1
CAS, 1 RAS ) in the 40-BIT PORT. Some minor bug corrections for Supervisor
Mode. Fixing a bug in Speed Override feature for PS/2 and AST Adapters which
force the test to @120nS when override is on.
- Version 2.20 8/23/94 Support of 4Meg/4K
refresh type modules in the 40-BIT PORT.
- Version 2.22 10/24/94 Improvement on Speed
estimation function for the 40-BIT PORT. Support of 72-pin SIMM modules with
parity-bit-emulation logic. Support for IBM new PS/2 module with -OE at pin 19.
Support for the new x16/x18 SOJ Adapter INN-8484-2.
NEW MANUAL PRINT 11-04-94 <--------------
- Version 2.24 12/15/94 Including more support
for parity logic emulation for the 40-BIT PORT. Initial support for DRAM CARD
- Version 2.26 1/27/95 Extended Auto-Loop
testing for the 40-BIT PORT so that modules with two banks are fully burn-in.
More support for DRAM CARD TESTER INN-8484-3. Enhancements for the SOJ x8/x9
- Version 2.28 5/17/95 First support for the
INN-828 Advanced Module Handler. Improvement in timing control during relative
- Version 2.29 5/17/95 First support for the
INN-828 Advanced Module Handler.
Hardware Change 6-19-95 All 40-BIT PORT
units from Serial Number #20158 have been modified to support 3.3V testing (see
Application Note INN-8448-APN09 for upgrade procedure of previously sold
- Version 2.30 6/30/95 Initial support for
DIMMCHECK 72P. Support for 3.3V testing on the 40-BIT PORT.
- Version 2.32 8/02/95 Correcting a
compatibility problem with some type of 2Mx8 chips.
- Version 2.34 11/03/95 First support for EDO
modules and chips. Increased compatibility with more 72-pin SO DIMM types and
more DRAM CARDS. First support for HP Workstation 72-pin SIMMs and the IBM
NEW MANUAL PRINT 12-06-95 <--------------
- Version 2.36 1/22/96 First support for
SIMCHECK SRAM/P-SRAM MODULE TESTER INN-8844. Improving Advanced setup to
include limits for Soft errors, relative refresh and relative spikes. Improved
adjacent short detection on all modules tested on the 40-BIT PORT. New support
for a special NEC SO DIMM.
- Version 2.38 2/14/96 First support for
NEW MANUAL PRINT 4-02-96 <--------------
- Version 2.40 4/30/96 Corrects size
determination bug for some 168-pin DIMM modules with two banks.
- Version 2.42 5/08/96 Additional support to the
SIMCHECK SRAM/P-SRAM MODULE TESTER.
- Version 2.44 7/25/96 Support for assymetric
modules which use 1Mx4, 1Mx8, or 1Mx16 for the data banks and 4Mx1 chips for
parity (e.g. SMART SM536C2000 modules).
- Version 2.46 9/27/96 Support for 8Mx72 single
bank 168-pin DIMM modules. Support PC Communication package with extra EDO
logging in the summary report.
- Version 2.48 11/01/96 Support for the
DIMMCHECK 168P 3.3V adapter.
- Version 2.50 3/05/97 Support for the 168-pin
unbuffered DIMMs (the DIMMCHECK 168P 3VUB) and for the DIMMCHECK 168P PRO.
II. ADAPTERS' FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT LOG
NOTE: Please always suggest to customers with
older program versions to upgrade to the current version.
- X1 DRAM Adapter Fully functional from
- X4 DRAM Adapter Fully functional from
- PS/2 Fully functional (in accordance
with manual) from VERSION 1.26. Functional with 1M-120nS (old unit) and 8M from
VERSION 1.33. Single-Bit-Test and 32, 33 bit from VERSION 1.47. IBM's latest 4M
modules which use 9 x4 chips from VERSION 1.53. 16M is only partially
compatible, as there is a particularly large speed drift due to the loading.
40-bit Port solves this problem for the 16M and 32M modules and should be
recommended in lieu of the PS/2 Adapter.
- PS/2 30-PIN Adapter Fully functional
from Version 1.23.
- PLCC/SOJ Adapter Fully functional from
- ZIP ADAPTER Fully functional from
- BANK ADAPTER Fully functional from
- HANDLER Always comes with a special
Version as part of its package! Important hardware modification on May 94
incorporate a proprietary copy-protection chip into the design. Customers who
bought prior handlers should order this chip in order to use Handler Program
Version 2.11 or higher.
- AST ADAPTER Fully Functional from
- SRAM ADAPTER Fully Functional from
- 40-PIN MODULE ADAPTER Fully Functional
from Version 1.58.
- SINGLE -CAS ADAPTER Fully Functional
from Version 1.63.
- PC COMMUNICATION PACKAGE Fully
Functional from Version 2.00.
- 40-BIT PORT Fully Functional from
- 16M SOJ ADAPTER / 4M/16M TSOP ADAPTERS
Fully Functional from Version 2.06.
- x8/x9 SOJ/ZIP ADAPTER Partially
Functional from Version 2.16. 2Mx8/9 were not available for verification but
customer purchasing this early version of the Adapter will be fully
- x16/x18 SOJ ADAPTER Partially
Functional from Version 2.22. 1Mx18 were not available for verification but
customer purchasing this early version of the Adapter will be fully
- DRAM CARD TESTER Partially Functional
from Version 2.24. Some cards were not available for verification but customer
purchasing this early version of the Adapter will be fully supported. Version
2.34 or up is now the recommended version.
- DIMMCHECK 72P Partially Functional from
Version 2.30, better supported from Version 2.36.
- HP WORKSTATION 72-PIN SIMM TESTER Fully
functional from Version 2.36.
- IBM 39-BIT ECC SIMM ADAPTER Fully
functional from Version 2.34.
- DIMMCHECK 168P First support Version
2.38. Fully functional from Version 2.40.
III. PC COMMUNICATION PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT
- Version 1.00 5/06/93 First commercial release
- Version 1.01 2/14/94 Support for 40-BIT PORT
- Version 1.02 10/05/94 Support for the SET-PRD
feature for the 40-BIT PORT.
- Version 1.03 1/05/95 Increased protection for
data structures of 40-BIT PORT to avoid crushes in some monitors.
- Version 1.04 6/26/95 Support for new 3.3V
- Version 1.05 10/25/95 Support for SRAM TESTER.
Added 40-BIT PORT setup of x16 (for x16 chips) and x39 (for IBM x39 ECC SIMMs).
- Version 1.06 9/17/96 Summary and printed
reports now explicitly mark the presence of EDO devices.